View Single Post
Old 25th January 2011, 14:05   #9
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by baconbuttyman View Post
We bought a Hotpoint Aqualtis AQXXF149PI in November 2008. the machine has had no probs in that time, yesterday mid cycle it stopped, no fault codes showed up. we phoned the repair line (no extended warranty, but it does carry a 5 yr parts warranty) and they said there was a £90 call out fee, thats each occasion if they couldnt repair it there and then.
The we called a local repair man, they said its probably an onboard computer fault, thats got me thinking, surely that part is designed to last longer than 2 years, this machine cost us nearly £500. could this be an inherent fault.
In England and Wales you have a 6 year warranty (Scotland 5 years) against faulty manufactured goods. Check out Consumer Direct for details. http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/ You need to get a independent report from your repairman stating that it is a faulty PCB and that it is unacceptable for that to fail after such a short time. The retailer will squirm like anything, but in the end the law is on your side (for once). we had a fault on a washer from Argos after 18 months, with CD's help we got it replaced FOC. The report cost me £18 from a local repairman. HTH

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh