Thread: Front Springs
View Single Post
Old 13th December 2011, 14:13   #6
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by norfie View Post
I spent a lot of time driving over kerbs and pot holes with cut springs developing those tyre protectors. I agree they do not catch everything but they do stop most. We changed the spring manufacturer in the end to cure this problem.
Please, don't take offence. I'm sure your work has helped save many tyres. I was merely saying that when I'd asked about them after raising concerns I was told they do not cure the problem, and springs can and still do pierce the tyre, as you explained.

What did you find to be the main factors in causing springs to break? As we know it's not just our cars that suffer with this, many other marques also have springs that snap randomly and seemingly unprovoked.
As I mentioned before, from what i've read on here they seem to break when setting off at slow speed.
Is it the springs that are weak or is there something else that puts strain on them that causes the failure?

As the ZT springs are different to the 75 springs, is it limited to just 75 ones or do ZT springs fail too?
I was thinking of getting lowering springs when mine need doing, as a way of not only avoiding OEM ones, but to make my car a bit more bespoke.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote