View Single Post
Old 27th June 2012, 18:35   #1
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Default This is how I feel, my first breakdown in a 75

This is how I feel at the moment as she has let me down.

The good bit of the day occured at 9am this morning when my second DD unit turned up, brought if for one of my spare cars from Radioguy, had a pleasent morning and just after lunch set out for the hospital for my weekly blood test. I then drove to Asda High Wycombe to do a bit of shopping in Asda, fill the LPG tanks, saving £10 compared with my local garages. I was then going to Kings Lynn to pick up some test equipment.

After I filled up I heard a very light machine gunning, it only lasted about 10 seconds and then disappeared so I thought to myself that I will keep an eye (or ear in this case) as it is difficult to diagnose a noise that has gone away.

I drove around the M25 and the up the A1 and then A1(m). Engine was running with not problem. Just before junction 8 a noise returned as a heavy mechanical knock. Pulled over to the hard shoulder, lifted the bonnet and tried to investigate the knocking. It appears to be coming from the timing belt end of the engine, so my next thought is one of the tensioners has failed. I have no experience of noise of the KV6 as I have never had a problem and judging by the sound it I think it might be a big end. Recovery got the car home and when I tried to start it to shift it into my disabled parking space, I found that the battery was completely flat which I thought was strange.

I now have the task of delving into the engine to see what has gone wrong; one way or another she will not find her way to the scrape yard. Its my 06 plated 75 and has only just turned 60,000.

Whilst on the hard shoulder I dipped the oil which was nearly at the max, the oil was still very clean having only done 4,000 miles of which about 3,000 was on LPG.

Now I have to make other plans to pick up the test equipment I have just purchased.

Time for a stiff drink, sleep on the problem and then start afresh tomorrow.

Last edited by rover54; 27th June 2012 at 18:39..
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote