View Single Post
Old 24th December 2019, 09:49   #1
the dutch guy

Default V6 massive oil leak

My 2.5 V6 estate (auto) i got from my dad that passed away was always riding lower and have more boat-like suspention then my saloon 2.0 V6 (manual) that is much tighter, and it would CONSTANTLY scrape certain speedpumps in my town on the exaust. i learnd to live with it for the time but sometimes the scraping was a bit more of a "bad sound" then usual.

yesterday i checked the oil and the level was nearly at the bottom of the stick.
so i chucked in about 1 liter and thought i was done with it. my own 2.0 also likes to drink oil and at this point i expect it from british cars. (dutch army had LOTS of defenders that used more oil then diesel)

but then i noticed a puddle under the car directy after filling.

it is REALLY just seeping out about as fast as i can fill it back up, its seeping out at the front of the engine, but due to the poor weather and oil leakage i cant find the exact location yet.

i expect the oil pan/carter to have had a rough encounter in the last week or so and have cracked.

my questions:
is the oil pan/carter replacable without taking out the whole engine?

if so: can it be welded? it looks like alu, but cant be sure if its weldable.

can i swap parts from a 2.0 into the 2.5? ar the part numers the same and does anyone have the part numbers? i can possibly use my 2.0 or scavenge parts at the scrapper.

id rather sacrifice my 2.0 and having to scrap the 2.5. the 2.5 is considerably better kitted out (electric seats, auto box, estate, tow bar and so on).

ps: worst case: can i swap engine blocks so i can make a 2.0 auto?

Last edited by the dutch guy; 24th December 2019 at 09:54..
the dutch guy is offline   Reply With Quote