View Single Post
Old 26th October 2020, 13:02   #78
Blink
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Noc View Post
.... As mentioned you can still release it, you just need to use something thin enough to go in - if it is too wide then use a couple of narrower split rings of thin plastic. Plenty of suitable material in the recycle bin - plastic bottles etc that can be cut down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blink View Post
... I've tried various other bits of plastic and it didn't work. Individual strips are no good because they're flat and don't follow the curve - and one single piece (a collar/sleeve) is either too thick and won't go in, or it's too thin and too weak to push all the tangs back at the same time.
I've got it released now - but only by filing off the 2nd metal rib on the gold half, using a vice to support the yellow half, then driving the white split sleeve all the way in (evenly!) with a hammer and a screwdriver.

So my contraption is free again. I don't trust it not to jam up again though so I certainly won't be using it on my expensive new MC.

Btw, this arrowhead split is the cause of all the problems. It allows one side to go in slightly further than the other, which skews the whole sleeve and causes half of the tangs to remain locked. That's what jams it up and that's why there's a special tool.

I searched for a special tool to buy but couldn't find one in the UK. This one in the USA is all I found.

https://www.holley.com/products/plum...arts/LS0024ERL
Blink is offline   Reply With Quote