View Single Post
Old 24th March 2017, 09:00   #11
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-45 View Post

Read the last comment, I've had to do this most times to get a successful re-set.

Sometimes it is necessary to do an inspection reset before an oil reset.
I've read this instruction many times over the years and tried to understand why it's necessary. What it suggests to me is that the initial light show is basically a smoke and mirrors act. It isn't doing anything 'intelligent' other than providing a fascination factor. It then uses the 'programmed' chip contined in the tool to short out the relevant pins in the OBD socket, much as you do with a paperclip (but hopefully more safely). But the need to do an inspection reset before you can reset the oil service display shows there's no programmed 'understanding' about what the service screen is showing. The tool does a simple fixed time shorting of the pins. So, sometimes it works (Inspection reset) and sometimes not (Oil Reset). I suspect 'Sometimes' actually means 'always'. The original MGR/BMW instructions as set out in RAVE and in the Haynes manual explain why this is if you examine the detail. Also be aware that many Chinese resetting gizmos use a round pin type OBD plug. Pushing this into your precious OBD socket can and has proved unwise.

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 24th March 2017 at 09:04..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote