Thread: Ticking noise
View Single Post
Old 14th November 2019, 21:18   #83
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

Ok so I received today my mechanic stethoscope and closely listened to almost every single part of the timing and engine that I could get to, it has a long extendable stick which helped a lot, and couldn't find anything conclusive, I only found normal and quite "ticks" that an engine would do, for example injectors opening and closing, valves, and so on, compared it to other 2 petrol engines that my family owns and everything seemed normal and nothing outstanding, only the inward bank of the engine sounded just a little more ticky than the other one, but nothing pronounced and of the same intensity/frequency like the ticks I hear inside the car and those that can be heard in the recordings I made. But then, I kind of gave up and said well let's check out the clutch's master cylinder copper piping too, and there it was, the same exact type of metal tapping sound I hear, same exact frequency, intensity and tone of awful ear pain... went further and laid the stick on the clutch bleed screw, exactly the same. So I'd say with 99% accuracy that the tapping is coming from the clutch somehow, it's obviously the same sound, I am so obsessed with it by now that I could point it out from hundreds pf others lol, but what could it be now that I know the general source? I am thinking that maybe the flywheel is spinning a little eccentric or it might be quite worn by now? Although about 10-15k miles ago I replaced the whole clutch assembly with a metal slave cylinder (tazu), master metal cylinder, borg and beck clutch disk and pressure plate, only the flywheel was left out and not replaced as the mechanic told me that there was no sign of wear on it and it looked perfectly fine... and that's a mechanic that I know for more than 5 years and which I know 100% I can trust. I am only assuming now, maybe a worn flywheel? If you would think of another even more conclusive way for me to further investigate this hypothesis with the stethoscope please let me know and give your thoughts on what could actually cause this. As I said, when listening with the stick all the timing and aux pulleys and other engine parts like manifolds, injectors valves (atleast as heard from listening to the valve covers) seemed normal.
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote