View Single Post
Old 14th November 2020, 09:03   #7
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donc View Post
the product available at any car accessory shop is a radiator and matrix flush and cost about £8 i think. Simply add to the cooling system, after having let some coolant out, then drive for a few miles in low gear so it circulates well. When it's cooled off disconnect the inlet and outlet pipes to the matrix and use a hospipe to reverse flush the system. I was lucky that this cleared out the gunge that was part blocking the matrix. I gather that doesn't always work unfortunately and the cure then might be a new matrix.
The product that I used years ago was Holts speedflush. It could be added to the cooling system (after removing enough coolant for it to displace). The instructions then said to run it up to temperature several times, then flush the system with water before draining again and refilling with coolant mixture. As various products were either acidic, or in some cases, alkaline (not good with aluminium!) it was important to flush out well, or risk further damage by the product! Check the instructions on your product carefully to avoid damage to alloy parts or seals.

Last edited by roverbarmy; 14th November 2020 at 09:11..
roverbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote