View Single Post
Old 11th November 2021, 20:13   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
Thinking of putting a couple of bottles of Redex diesel cleaner in me fuel filter, running the engine for a bit then leaving over night. It's been suggested I do an Italian tune up the next morning.
Question.
Would me keeping the engine revs at 4000rpm for a few minutes in park do the same job as a few minutes at 4000rpm on the motorway?
The object of the exercise is to clean the injectors up a bit.
Regarding the Redex in the fuel filter, it made no difference to mine. I cannot find the screenshots of TOAF of the injector readings before and after for the Redex.

How I did it was to fill the new fuel filter with Redex, start the car, and run for about 1 minute (just idle). Then switched off and left overnight to allow it to soak on the injector nozzles. Started up the following day, and no difference of any note. The engine temps and ambient temps were within 1 or 2 degrees of each other.

However, the year before, I did the same process with Forte Injector Cleaner. This did demonstrate a relatively large difference (improvement) in the figures. But as far as I am aware, the injectors had never been cleaned previously. (I dont know what the numbers actually mean, however there is less compensation between them)

Due to the lack of change in the before and after figures, unscientifically, I concluded Redex did nothing to clean the injectors. To confirm this, I used Forte again at the next filter change the following year, and whilst there was a much smaller change in the comparative figures, there was still a change (I did not screenshot this unfortunately). After the first change 2 years previously, there was a noticeable improvement in the running (and in particular idling) of the car - much more than i would have ever believed.

I now do it ever year, but I have not noticed any major physical improvement.

For cleaning them, I would recommend Forte instead, and leave it overnight to soak.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote