View Single Post
Old 20th October 2019, 18:28   #4
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post

The Hotel we stayed in were worried about the economic future as 50% of there clients were Thomas Cook.

This was my first visit to Corfu and I feel I will probably return, the people were friendly and I didn't feel we were being ripped off at every opportunity as is so often the case when visiting a foreign country.
They have had it tough for a number of years and despite all the problems, they remain honest, hard working and generous. I always try to use local businesses when I can as many businesses have been swallowed up by large European banking companies who lent money, demanded it back after increasing interest rates, then swept up for themselves.

We called in at a local Kafeneon for a couple of lemonades after a long walk. We were warmly welcomed, given "extras" alongside our drinks and charged a third of what we were paying at the hotel. I left what we were paying at the hotel and they chased after us with change! The "tip" was very much appreciated and we were given some fresh fruit to take away. We went back of course and they really appreciated our custom. Lovely place, lovely people, obviously struggling financially but so welcoming and friendly.