View Single Post
Old 5th August 2021, 16:40   #5
FantasticMrFish
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevestrat View Post
Does the idle settle when the engine warms up, ie once the coolant has burnt off. Another clue is which ever cylinder the coolant ends up in (normally #4) the spark plug will look as if its been steam cleaned!

If its a permanent rough idle it may be the stepper motor needs adjusting but that can't be done without involving a T4, TOAF might do it, I don't know. The stepper motor controls in idle air control valve, adjusts the idle depending on the load on the engine, lights, aircon etc. I bought a 1.8T a long time ago and it had a rough idle. Took it to Brian for a general once over and he'd never seen the stepper motor so far out of adjustment, reckoned it had never been adjusted from new! There is an adjusting screw (dunno where) but needs to T4 to set it within the correct parameters.
It eases off a bit but never fully settles. I'm going to take the rocker cover and head off over the weekend so I'll take a look at the plugs too. Need to track down a slight slip/misfire under hard acceleration too so may be the time to do that. Its never boring with our cars is it.

Sent from my M2007J3SG using Tapatalk
FantasticMrFish is online now   Reply With Quote