View Single Post
Old 6th December 2020, 19:44   #520
edwardmk
Gets stuck in

MG ZT 260, Rover 75 Connie SE auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
................................. for a drive out. With a full tank in the Bear off we went. The idea was to go to Looe, park up and have a wander armed with a camera. But I drove through Looe and carried onto Polperro, I was here last week. But I carried on towards the ferry at Bodinnick via Crumplehorn & Lansallos. Some very narrow lanes, where the grass grows in the middle of the road, Met a few cars.

Parked on the approach to the Bodinnick ferry. We was going across to Fowey. Val and I used to holiday there in Fowey. Done the self catering, but the last time we was here in 2008 we stayed in what used to be called The Fowey Hotel overlooking the estuary.

Onto the ferry, we was the only car, with a couple of foot passengers. Across we went. once off I found a space in the car park. and went for a wander. The memories came flooding back, some escaped and rolled down my cheeks. There is a cracking pub called the Lugger Inn where we used to eat, it was open but I never went in. Walked past the church and past the war memorial, the poppy wreaths seemed to wink to me. Walked past the Aquarium where the largest lobster shell is on show.

Stood looking out over the river towards Polruan. Only been there once, we went over on the passenger ferry back in 2008 and had a beer or two. Polruan is bounded on three sides by water Pont Creek, River Fowey and the English Channel. We went to the blockhouse museum which has been rebuilt. There is a corresponding blockhouse on the other side in Fowey but that is more of a ruin. Lots of history.

I then walked back towards where I had parked the Bear. Then out and headed home via Lescrow, Castledore and past Milltown before joining the A390 towards Lostwithiel. On through Fairy Cross through West Taphouse, Middle Taphouse, East Taphouse, Redpost before joining the A38 at Dobwalls.
Past Moorswater, Liskeard, Lower Clicker, Budge's Shop and past Castle Motors. They have a Lightening Jet on a pedestal in the car park. Next door is Castle Taxis who operate helicopters.

Stayed on the A38 past Polyne Garage, Bear has been there 4 times this year. Through Trerulefoot, Tideford which is the most polluted village in Cornwall, through Landrake, past Tremanto and turned off at the bottom of the hill towards Burraton and into Saltash.

A few photo's.
The Fowey Harbour Hotel is still there if that is the same one. Very limited parking but a nice hotel. We've watched the Red Arrows from their balcony several times when they used to fly very low through Fowey and you almost felt you could touch them as they went past.
I almost always drop into Castle Motors when we return from a visit to Plymouth to ogle all the exotica we can't afford and take another pic of their English Electric Lightning. What an incredible piece of British engineering that was at the time! I still remember a squadron flypast at Farnborough at above the speed of sound (when we still allowed that kind of display) and the return flypast when they all stood on their tails and climbed vertically to 50000ft. They were gone in seconds due to cloud cover lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DdUwIhI-ZA
I did wonder what made Tideford so polluted since it has always looked quite pretty from afar?
That run must have been very nostalgic for you. A lovely part of the world to tour and re-visit memories. Happy belated birthday to your Val and all the best to you too.
edwardmk is offline   Reply With Quote