View Single Post
Old 10th December 2018, 21:57   #30
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhavenhibby View Post
Your dentist will be able to set up a new upper and lower once the lower extractions have taken place. This may be beneficial as the technician won't be guided by your own teeth which often aren't in the ideal place for denture positioning. As I said muscle action comes into play when it comes to full dentures and they have to sit in a "neutral zone" to be stable which often isn't the case when copying your old teeth position.....nobodys fault just the way it is.

I'm not really surprised that you are having problems with the first temporary if it was 4 weeks after extraction ( or did you go back for 2 or 3 other visits once the extractions had occurred ?? in which case a second impression can be taken just prior to fit ) ..........by this time a certain amount of remodelling would have taken place and as I said the technician has to estimate where the bone will end up. Normally I would fit the denture at the time of the extractions which also helps with the clotting .

It is usual to see after 2 to 3 months for a reline, however this would be a hard acrylic reline, but there are temporary cushion ones that can be applied if the remodelling is taking place faster or in an uneven manner. Dentures often feel "big" and this is part and parcel of getting used to a full denture. When the rubbing has gone this is where perseverance comes in.

When you go back for the full upper and lower it would indeed open up another band C treatment and associated cost.

As I said the "blisters" that began to form are probably easily sorted by an ease and as I said wear the plate for an hour or so and the dentist will be able to see exactly where to take off the acylic as the gum will just start to mark up.
Thank you for your help Ashley, so very much appreciated.

I had the impression done on day of extractions, then went back following week for wax try-in, then wax with teeth try-in, then they had to add some sort of reline due to it being so loose, and then the following week it was all finished. I thought it was a bit strange to make an immediate denture in this way, because I have been without it for the first 4 weeks, that defeats the whole point of an immediate denture I guess.

The dentist herself is very lovely, but I'm not convinced she can make dentures. She had to call in another dentist on two visits due to not knowing what to do, or how the system worked. I also had to ask my GP to refer me to maxillofacial/hospital as she said they are not allowed to refer to the hospital any more, I think she is misinformed, or needs more training.

I may have to ask to see one of the other dentists, or find yet another practice. I have found it near impossible to find a good dentist who knows what they are doing, not unless I pay big money and go private.

In the hospital today I felt in good hands, it was such a huge relief to be with someone who knows what they are doing.

Last edited by Dallas; 10th December 2018 at 22:04..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote