View Single Post
Old 7th December 2020, 07:31   #20
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamiewelch View Post
You can find out what it’s outputting there and then, how can the say you’ll get 160 without seeing the car or even knowing if it’s mechanically sound? Surely there should be an acceptable range of BHP you would typically get, or the average that cars achieve. Fresh oil, fresh air filter, spotless manifold, egr and intercooler would achieve the most power, but you won’t tend to lose a huge amount of power if it hasn’t had a service. I always recommend cleaning the intake system so it’s spotless prior to a remap, that way you can get the most air in, and make use of the extra fuel a remap puts in. Calling it a 160 map and only achieving 140~ bhp on an average diesel on a dyno would be a bit off putting to me. There should be a dyno day where a handful of cars are ran, the average worked out and go from there.
I think they got back about 8-10 bhp, may not sound much but it is the difference between a car having what is claimed and not having what is claimed. Also I understand that a vehicle loses bhp over time through wear and tear of components. This would lead me to believe that a brand new engine with a remap will have the new claimed bhp but an old engine that has already lost bhp due to wear and tear, cannot get to that new engine remapped bhp. Is this the crux of the "dispute", worn engine with reduced bHP and not a new engine with all it's bhp?

I have a 160 remap, my car is insured as if it has 160 BHP, if it has 140 BHP I am not sure I am bothered as the car goes well enough for my driving style and pulls the caravan along so much better which was the reason for a remap.... mind you a CDT needs something to help it along

macafee2
macafee2 is online now   Reply With Quote