View Single Post
Old 2nd January 2019, 10:11   #27
bendrick
Gets stuck in

Ex CDT Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross R75 View Post
Very difficult to get any objectivity when it comes to tyres, oil, fuel, wiper blades, or any type of aftermarket parts really. Doubly difficult with tyres because the rating system is down to manufacturers own tests rather than independent testing. My SEAT Altea is supposed to be capable of 74mpg. Do you see where I’m going with this?

Is a Westlake tyre’s A rating worth the sticker it’s printed on? Is a Falken or a Michelin’s A rating any better? Side by side testing in repeatable conditions, by reputable publications is the only way to go for a decent understanding. That said, Auto Express did the 2018 tyre test on Continental’s test track. Which tyre do you suppose won the test? Yup, you guessed it, Continental........

https://www.evo.co.uk/news/16799/the...lly-trust-them

Well thats a very good point I hadn't really factored in the independence or not of how the tyres get allocated their rating, never gave it a thought really. I assume that manufacturers are supposed to adhere to different criteria and then declare their own ratings and we know that certain big businesses have a fairly relaxed attitude to such matters.

i.e. MPG figures for new cars, VW cheat tests etc.

Although having said that there are plenty of tyre manufacturers out there declaring their tyres E+E or F+B for example.

The other thing that has struck me is that whilst I put more faith in the numerous motoring organisation or motor magazine tyre test results, they themselves seem to deliver differing results and rankings where the same tyres are involved.

I know that there are generally different tyre combinations included in these tests but there are numerous examples where the same tyres are swapping places in the rankings of different tests based on similar testing (braking distance, wet, dry, handling etc)

I suppose the size and type of car involved in each of the tests might indicate that different models and weights of cars deliver different results when fitted with the same tyres.

As my original post starting this discussion off stated, I've never really noticed a problem whatever tyre that I've had fitted in the past, but of course in a foot to the floor emergency stop I like anyone else I'm sure, like to think that I've given myself every chance of stopping in the shortest possible distance due to the tyres fitted.

Last edited by bendrick; 2nd January 2019 at 11:01..
bendrick is offline   Reply With Quote