View Single Post
Old 14th October 2021, 19:02   #22
vitesse
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardenconny View Post
Well that was fun while it lasted. A couple of days ago I was driving my 75 for my usual commute between 2 cities (around 200kms) and at around 150km mark, the transmisson broke down again.

This time however, it made a lot of concerning thuds and shook the NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD-NAUGHTY WORD- out of the car. I noticed how the car’s revs were stable but the speed was dropping as if I wouldn‘t have pressed the gas at all (it wasn’t an uphill or anything). I pulled over at the nearest bus stop for a break. The car did start moving, and I was able to drive it for around 15-20kms when it stopped again and wouldn‘t move at all anymore. I needed to push the car the car to safer spot and holy moly it sure is a heavy car.

After a legthy tow, the car reached my mechanic, and he was astonished. He told me that he had double-checked anything that he did to it and made sure to top up the gearbox with the correct type of oil. He determined that the reverse piston and/or the friction plates were ruined again. But how this could happen again, as the gearbox didn‘t slip at all before this and I didn‘t torture the box at all. Should I get the transmisson replaced or should I still get the box repaired? It‘s ridicilous how the box only lasted around 350 kilometers of driving. Are all Rover 75 autoboxes this unreliable, or have I gotten a particularily bad one?

Few weeks ago, I took the car to a different mechanic due to a check engine light, and he said that the engine cooling fan no. 2 is broken and the VIS actuators 1, 2 and 3 are stuck and therefore broken. Also, the Lambdas are giving me some kind of error code as well. So that’s a long and expensive-sounding list of faults to be fixed. Should I even bother to save this car, or should I sell it for scrap???
I've been driving 75s with autoboxes, both 2.0 & 2.5 for some eight years now and I regard them as the most reliable part of the car. Seamless gear changes, good kick down etc. I'd give up with your current box and invest in another possibly later 2003 onwards box as I believe the reverse piston fault was recognised and fixed. Plenty in Swedish scrapyards and not too expensive (bildelsbasen.se).

The errors stated are strange: you haven't got two cooling fans, but judging by the age of your car one fan with a three speed system. Easy to check, get yourself a copy of Toaf (use the search) and don't rely on this mechanic.

And you've only got two VIS motors, again test with Toaf, I can help with renovated ones, or contact Stocktake on this group.

The lambda fault might be due to lack or incorrect service, but the fan, VIS motors are relatively cheap, the gearbox replacement will cost a bit especially if you can't do it yourself but a good, condition A box must be better than fighting the one you've got.

Regards

Last edited by vitesse; 14th October 2021 at 19:03.. Reason: auto correct
vitesse is offline   Reply With Quote