View Single Post
Old 29th June 2019, 15:32   #20
Rich in Vancouver
Gets stuck in

MG ZT-T

Our safety test isn't nearly as rigorous as your MOT. It is carried out by licensed garages and is mainly a visual inspection following a checklist. We no longer have an annual safety or emissions test here so this may be the only check-over an imported car ever gets. For cars imported by non-enthusiasts it is a very good thing. They mainly check for things like working lighting with an emphasis on DRLs which are compulsary here, and safety items like tyres, hydraulic lines seat belts etc. There seems to be a variation in thoroughness depending on the shop that does the test. The shop I use is quite realistic, they do a good job but aren't too anal.

The last MG officially imported into Canada was the MGB in 1980 so there aren't a lot around and most people under 50 have no knowledge of them. Our import laws only allow them to be imported after they are 15 years old, and the USA is 25 years. There are gradually more MGFs and TFs being imported. I have brought in two myself, but they are still very rare. The other models are rarer still. My ZT is the only one for 1000 miles. There are a few more in eastern Canada, probably not many more than 50 cars in total, MGF, TF, ZT and the odd Metro and Maestro. LHD cars are the sought after ones as they are easier to deal with in our LHD country. RHD caqrs are quite hard to resell.

Last edited by Rich in Vancouver; 29th June 2019 at 23:05..
Rich in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote