View Single Post
Old 3rd January 2021, 19:03   #6
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thought I'd post an update, it might help others.
Unfortunately it's not a true 'fix', rather just a fortuitous bit of delving about. I'd given the front and rear brakes a refurb. (new discs/pads and a good clean up around the backplates, handbrake pins/springs) two years ago.
I didn't want to have to spend +£40 and a 60 mile round trip on a T4 check unless necessary (I had a conversation with someone at Horners (my nearest T4) and frankly wasn't convinced they were going to be particularly helpful and as previously noted I thought I'd carried out a sensor system check on all four corners by plugging in a new sensor lead in order to eliminate any sensor fault; it was just a static check - some members commented that the car has to be driven some distance for this to be effective - but in any case the warning light didn't extinguish so my next thought was a reluctor ring. The car has done almost 170K on the original wheel bearings so the next cheapest/easiest option (for me) was a set of new rear wheel bearings (from DMGRS) - the front bearings are more difficult DIY job. It was an easy swap out (I had the right sized socket and my torque wrench maximum setting was exactly what Haynes listed) - might have been lucky but it was a breeze. I did the N/S first giving the sensor and surrounding area a good degreasing and clean up, dropped the car and went for a short drive round the block but the light remained illuminated - bu...r!
Repeated the same straight forward process for the O/S, quick drive round the block and...result, light extinguished and all's good with the world; a couple of days later she sailed through her MOT.
I understand that on our cars the ABS reluctor ring is built into the bearing grease shields. Apart from a small dent in the old wheel bearing shield (funnily there was a similar dent in both of the inner seals) the bearings appeared to be in top class condition (although the grease looked a bit lacking and a touch 'dry') but the balls and races were pristine.
Probably fitted new bearing ahead of a 'must do' but otherwise a good result.
Little tip - before fully torquing the wheel bearing flange nuts give the hub a bit of a hand spin when they are still just a little more than 'finger tight', it centralises the balls and races.
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote