View Single Post
Old 19th April 2022, 11:12   #1
Johnny2R
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Default Screen wash not working properly

I've read back over the many threads on here about the screen wash filter getting clogged with organic gunk, and I'm wondering whether that is what is happening here (it's happened before but symptoms weren't exactly the same).

I'm getting nothing out of the jets when I pull the wiper stalk. In the past I've effected a temporary fix by using something like a bicycle pump to blow back down the pipe into the reservoir, so I've tried that again and it allows me to get 3 or 4 squirts out of the washers, of decreasing intensity, then nothing. In the past when I've done this, I've normally got a few months grace as a result, so I'm a bit puzzled that it is not working for me this time.

There was clearly a problem with the screenwash for my MOT, which caused the garage to replace the pump (probably unnecessarily). But judging from the smell when I've used the bicycle pump trick, they didn't empty and clean the reservoir or filter.

I think I may have to face the dauntingly smelly task of doing this myself, if I can work out how to do it. I understand I need to remove the front wheel lining on the driver's side to access it, but it's not immediately apparent to me how to do this. Do I need to remove the wheel to do so, or can I do it just by turning the wheel as far I can in one direction (in which case, which direction)? If this at all a tricky job, I'll hand it off to a garage but if it's simple enough that even a mechanical idiot can do it, I'll give it a go.
Johnny2R is offline   Reply With Quote