View Single Post
Old 17th January 2017, 22:05   #10
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
After three years of trying to get local garages and assorted 'expert mechanics' to get me a decent clutch in my 75 CDTi, I am biting the bullet and changing the clutch myself. I have the Tazu Mk1 master in my car, which seems fine and I will leave in place. I have ongoing issues with a grinding/whirring noise (probably release bearing related) when I change gear, with some judder. The car currently has a National clutch kit in it fitted by a former trader on this forum. I am going to fit a Borg and Beck kit with a metal slave cylinder (currently on its way from DMGRS). I am going to do the job by the book - subframe off etc. and I am going to take my time doing it, to try to get everything spot on. I'll post updates in this thread, to act as a guide to members thinking of tackling the job themselves, and also to ask for advice where needed, as I go along.

I started today by jacking the car up nice and high and firmly supporting it on axle stands under the sills. I removed the undertray and n/s wheel arch liner. I cracked the bottom drop link/ARB joint and the lower arm/hub pinch joint. I then drained the gearbox oil (strange finding No. 1: 2 litres came out - I thought these boxes only held 1.6 litres).

I'll crack on as and when time/energy allows. I envisage spreading the job over the next 2-3 weeks, in between work and family commitments.

Wish me luck - it is bit scary doing this for the first time !

Cheers

Pete

Dont forget the guide tube UTL100080
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote