View Single Post
Old 4th November 2019, 07:40   #20
Mike Noc
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT Manual Connoisseur SE, Rover 75 CDT Automatic Connoisseur SE & a Freelander Td4.

Thanked 3,119 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post
Alright - still havent gotten the car back, but heres the verdict so far acc. to the mechanic (rdy for a strangie?) at the workshop:

Before anything else, the pretest showed:
- faulty starter motor
- odd signal/camshaft
- faulty fuel pre-something pump
- something not right with the glow plugs

...and, before he could tell anything more, he had to change the starter moter, because the existing wouldnt start.
So - after some 900 EUR starter motor change, the following test declared:
NO ERRORS

They took the car for a couple of rides in town with no errores what so ever...

I asked them to do the final 3rd testun.
Still waiting for the result.

Sorry to have kept you waiting for the info - Ill update with the final result when I get there.

Cheers,

Sorry to sound negative but they haven't sorted the cutting out problem you originally posted about. Could be it has sorted itself (ECM got wet and has now dried out, contaminated fuel that has now gone through the system etc) or of course it might return.

To take your pretest results in order; as mentioned before, the camsensor and also the starter motor won't cause the engine to shut down once started.

The faulty pre-something pump sounds like an LP fuel pressure fault. Now this can cause the engine to shut down if it happens with it running, but it can also be caused by the ignition being turned on and then the engine not started before the LP pumps time out, which is what probably happened when the mechanic plugged his diagnostic kit in to check for faults.

The glow plug fault is a red herring - they pretty much all do that, and again even if the glowplug relay is faulty it won't cause the engine to stall once started.
Mike Noc is offline   Reply With Quote