View Single Post
Old 6th June 2019, 20:11   #53
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillyphil View Post
Thanks for that Wes, that's a great resource.

Looks like its pointing towards an ECT problem.

Do you know where the ECT is located?

Also, reading that, it says that if the fan is cycling on and off on a kv6 (as mine seems to be), it may indicate a faulty low speed, perhaps I need a new fan.

If that's the case, would it be better to replace the 3 speed fan or fit the newer 2 speed fan?

Phil
The fan cycling on and off sounds like an aircon fault, low in gas. Did you say you had it regassed recently?

The coolant temp sensor is in the middle of the V on a V6, just in front of the thermostat housing. You can get to it by removing the throttle-body and going in from the side/rear, its not as hard as it looks. Did you say you had a new thermostat fitted about 3 years ago, was the sensor changed then?

Front left (two wires). Also, have you checked in this area for puddles of coolant?

You can test all three fan speeds using THIS method.

If you find your fan isn't working on all speeds, you can replace the bushes within the fan motor yourself with just a few clever skills needed.

Your fan seems to be working ok by the sounds of things, but if you do end up replacing the fan, I myself fitted the same 3 speed setup.
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote