Thread: KV6 overheating
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2019, 07:27   #60
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

I have refrained from posting on this thread too much as too many cooks etc, but as you have asked for opinions.

The bracket for the resistor is a red herring, pay no attention to it. both two and three speed fans are fitted to the cowling with this bracket.

My opinion.
Your next step is to repair/replace the fan, so its a bumper off job.

Then you need to identify the type of fan.

Two speed will almost certainly be a resistor fail BUT it could be the relay in the control box ( also a bumper off job.)
Three speed will almost certainly be brushes worn away but equally small chance it could be a relay fail.

Once you have identified the fan type and proved the relays to be good you have a number of options the choice is yours:

Three speed:
1, Attempt replacement of brushes:
An amount of mechanical aptitude is needed along with a high capacity soldering iron. This can usually be achieved if not all the speeds on the fan have failed and is relatively cheap.
2. Replace the fan with two speed and new resistor ( Plug and play)
3. Replace the fan with after market ( Small amount of rewiring)

Two speed:
1. Usually changing the resistor solves the fan problem, soldering of the new resistor is advisable as opposed to dry fixings
2. Replace the fan with replacement 2 speed and new resistor ( Plug and play)
3. Replace the fan with aftermarket. ( Small amount of rewiring}

Once you have rectified the faulty fan you can then move on but as SD1too says there could be further issues but then again there may not.

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident

Last edited by stocktake; 7th June 2019 at 11:18..
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote