View Single Post
Old 29th September 2020, 09:16   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pueblo_Boy View Post
Yes, I recall Marinabrian fixed up his father's car, spending many man-hours doing an absolutely terrific job on the sub-frame. But even he said he wouldn't want to do it again!

Therein lies the dilemma. The labour to remove the rear sub-frame, the cost of sandblasting and then painting several coats, then re-assembly, including new bushes as a minimum, is going to be not far shy of what, £500 from a garage? Increase that for the front sub-frame, and you're spending as much as the car is worth in the market...then underseal whilst you're at it!

Still, if it adds several years onto the life of the car, averaging out the cost over those extra years might justify the spend - at least in your head!

I've spent hours combing the used car markets looking for a replacement car I could live with, if I had to replace my Tourer. Nothing really compares in terms of value for money...nothing!
Are you able to remove and refit the sub frames. The front is heavy but the rear one is not, some "special" tools required and particularly with the rear, you may spot other surface rust spots on the body to deal with at the same time. It is not a hard job to remove and refit. I think Blink may have had a sub frame shot blasted and painted, someone has as I saw a post about it.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote