View Single Post
Old 24th April 2012, 18:27   #4
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

Quote:
Originally Posted by X10Rich View Post
It will be worth getting those bits powder coated. Must stronger than most paints, and isn't that dear - if your going to get bit bits blasted anyway. I did this on my SD1
My sand blasting is done by trading sweeties and unfortunately they don't do powder coating but the parts will all be spray primered and top coated by myself in my workshop.

How bad where your rear shocks?
Replaced mine and they were not as bad as fronts. but still they had leaked badly and took way too long to return to the start position.
Hence giving the car a saggy behind...

My rear shocks simply pushed down all the way with no resistance although they were not leaking. My front N/S has started to leak slightly.

Today I removed the last lower link as I gave up on it last night.
The securing stud simply would not budge as it was siezed solid in the aluminium sleeve of the bush. I had to grind the remainder of the thread and the head of the stud to force it out of the sub frame. I tell you these studs are hard, it took me all of 20 minutes with the angle grinder to get the job done.

I will now have to add a new lower arm to my shopping list. I also removed the fuel tank securing bracket. I partially removed it 4 years back when I was renewing the rear brake pipes but was unable to get it off the car because of the exhaust so I cleaned it up as best I could then painted it.

Rather unusual form of mounting on the fuel tank as it has 4 plastic rivets with the pop out centre button right into the base of the tank as well as the 4 mounting studs.
These came off easy as I had put some copper grease on the threads last time.
Last job today was a full power wash on the underside, it's amazing just how much dirt there is on top of the tank. It is sitting down on bricks about 1 inch lower than normal so this allowed me to get the power jet in.

JYJ
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote