View Single Post
Old 18th July 2020, 01:53   #8
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
Why buy a ‘liars’ car (electric) that is supposed to do 230 miles on a charge, but only does 180 at best, and that is this warm time of the year. What will it do in the winter when the cold prevails? Think about it:- lights on, heater on, rear window on? Can not wait to see what happens when the roads get blocked by broken down electric cars in bad snowing conditions. Trouble is, it will also affect those with the more sensible vehicle .
Why buy a 'liars' car (diesel) that emits so much muck from the back that manufacturers fit cheat devices, breaks down all the time if you only do city driving and does only a fraction of it's claimed fuel economy?

To justify my comments:
A) VW - enough said
B) Any modern diesel has a particulate filter which has to get very warm to regenerate. If you only do short trips or city driving this never happens and eventually the car either breaks down or goes into limp home mode. My Father had exactly this happen with a 2011 Skoda he bought, ran it for about a year before getting fed up with the orange light and breaking down all the time.
C) I've had many diesel cars and so far none of them got anywhere near the claimed MPG. My last (Volvo V90) should have been doing around 50mpg however it's average over 15k was just 36! In fact even on a run of 250 miles, mostly on motorways driving like a nun I still only managed to get 46mpg.

If you have the ability to charge at home and a daily commute of less then 140 miles total then electric is the obvious answer. Since getting the MG we've been staggered by how cheap it is to run, we've now done almost 800 miles and so far it's taken a grand total of £16 worth of power. We've also been surprised by just how easy it is to charge and live with, plus free power whilst shopping is a nice bonus!

As for breaking down all the time, well that's yet to happen and given that the furthest it has to go in a day is 60 miles and it has a real world range of about 150 I'm happy we have a decent margin there. I can honestly say I'm more likely to break down in either my 16 year old SLK or 30 year old Rover then I am in the new MG.