View Single Post
Old 19th November 2020, 20:16   #7
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyHeckaslike View Post
Agree with most of the last post but would not go so far as "He deserved to win the championship this year, and his capability on a race weekend is currently without peer." Toto at Merc promised the diva the best car if he renewed his contract with Merc at the end of this season, says it all really as the car is always designed around the number 1 driver ... no need to ask the number 2 re this. Lol! Charles Leclerc I think would offer some much needed competition too if given the right resources.
Schumacher did it, Alonso did it at Renault, tried and failed at McLaren. If a driver can do this, whilst I do not agree, then more power to them. But it was thanks to Button, Barrichello, Heidfeld, and particularly Rosberg, that the car was where it was when Hamilton came along. Drivers nowadays do not seem to develop the car the way they used to in the past. This is why I do not think Hamilton is one of the greats (he also has wobbles when things are not going his way on the track lol).

Think of it this way too, Ferrari could have won the 1999 driver's championship, their first since Scheckter. How would it look if the driver who won it, was getting paid about 10% of the number 1 driver, even if they were out for part of the season?

Bottas, is toeing the line, for sure, hence his apparent lack of ability. And like Irvine in '99 once said it is better to be a Ferrari (Mercedes) no.2 driver than a number 1 at almost any other team, especially when they are nowhere near in performance. Irvine I am sure, would add that he got paid handsomely for it too lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote