View Single Post
Old 6th April 2022, 08:33   #31
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by bl52krz View Post
The reason engine braking is frowned upon is because the latest drivers? Can not change down a gear, and certainly can not double de clutch. Reason I was told was because it takes your concentration from the road. Well all I can say is if changing gear takes your concentration away, you should not be driving. Such a lot of rubbish talked these days about driving, and most of it is because of useless drivers in the ‘teaching ‘ trade. I was asked to go out with a friend of my wife’s who was going for her fourth , yes fourth driving test, and believe it or not she could not do three point turns, or reverse properly. When I showed her how to do a three point turn, and she managed to do one after about six times, she told me that I had showed her the prper way. The ‘teacher’ had shown her a totally different way. Showed her how to use the three mirrors when reversing, and she said she had only been told to use the ‘two outside mirrors’. No wonder there are people who can not reverse or do correct three point turns. About time some of these teachers learnt drivers to use the indicators also.
I'm one of these useless drivers in the teaching trade and quite frankly I find your comment insulting and unnecessary.
I was certified by the then Bus and Coach council as a PSV instructor. My on road assessment was marked as excellent, my on road teaching assessment was also marked as excellent. In the theoretical tests I was the 1st candidate to score 100%. I was also elected as a commercial member of the IAM and trained other drivers to IAM standards and achieved a 100% pass rate for the IAM test. Furthermore I have my C&G in PSV driving instruction.
Over the years I have also attended many courses to maintain, improve and update my skills.
I think it fair to say that after a successful driver training career lasting some 30 years that although I've never obtained the accolade of being a perfect driver or trainer, I have in that time helped many people learn how to drive to very high standards. What I and any other trainer cannot do is dictate how people will drive in the future.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote