View Single Post
Old 13th May 2021, 13:49   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCP440 View Post
There is lots that goes on that the public never hear about apparently. One team were caught using an engine that was larger than it should be, I dont know by how much but it was only the fact that one of the scrutineers noticed something odd. That is also a team that were doing well and are now struggling.
How about the team (may have been an Indy or a Nascar) that had massively long fuel lines, that could contain an extra couple of gallons of fuel Helps bypass the tank size restrictions lol - I think that same team even had the roll bars used as a secret reserve capacity too!

Or Tyrrell filling the water tanks with lead shot to be released after the start, sending 1000s of little lead balls across the track!

I believe F1 should be the pinnacle, and should have a bit more of a free rein, as some of the developments can filter down into road cars. A budget cap somehow, or a standardised chassis, where a team can do what they like with it, but cannot alter the chassis in any shape or form.

Active suspension is a good example of what should have been allowed to develop, but within reason (the corners could have become non existent if left unchecked). But for road car use it would be an incredible advancement, and likely to have been so much more common on everyday cars now. Carbon fibre, a form of the carbon brakes etc are good examples of how things have come to be seen on road cars - even the aluminium bodies of the Audi A8 and some Jags owe their creation in part to the aluminium technology developed in the 70's cars.

Perhaps if using one component (like active suspension) then you cannot have wings. Maybe a list you can choose from lol.

Spoilers and wings should be limited to x number of components. EG two vertical pieces, then two horizontal pieces. These small vanes alter the airflow, and can effectively create a form of ground effect by using the airflow as a barrier (and this then creates the turbulence that restricts overtaking etc).

As far as Mercedes cheating, I dont believe it is as bad as people think. Mercedes have teams that work together as cohesive team, where they have the opportunity to develop ever single aspect of the car. The 1mm of airflow passing escaping around the the tyre as it turns may have a team to figure out how to retain it (a made up extreme consideration to demonstrate my point). But they have the manpower and the ability to make them work together, so that they can manufacture the perfect package with next to no compromises.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!

Last edited by clf; 13th May 2021 at 13:53..
clf is offline   Reply With Quote