View Single Post
Old 19th October 2020, 05:26   #1
beinet1
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Auto

Default New project - HGF to be resolved - advice?

Hi all,

As Somebody may have noticed, I have been drawn into temptation av bought another project, despite I promised myself to never buy another K-engine powered object after i sold my 1.8 Tourer nearly 4 years ago: https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=308554

To cut everything short, I have taken the cylinder head of. Engine full off hell-mans mayonnaise. Seems like it was on its original HG. Cylinder head never skimmed (119mm). Deep indents in cylinder head, so this one is probably cooked to scrap. Not easy to get a accurate measurement of the liner stand proud, but they seems to be close to 0.001"(0.025mm) above the block deck. The cylinder head has deep fire-ring indentations, so its considered as scrap. Looking through the cars documentation, the car was diagnosed with HGF by the previous owners garage for two years ago. Not repaired. The car as done approx 1000miles since that and probably cooked the cylinder head

I have two other cylinder heads on the bench, both removed from running engines. Both have some minor indents from the fire rings, but I guess this is normal. no.1 had an MLS gasket fitted and is over-skimmed down to 118mm. The other one had an elastomer gasket fitted together with a 0,5mm head saver shim. Its height is 118,4mm.

None of the cylinder heads will take an N-series gasket I assume. I will favour a solution where a head saver shim is used as it will compensate for the over-skimming done and is also forgiving to other cylinder head issues. I will not use a "wellseal" fitted shim, so then it all ends up with the MLS alternative.

At the moment, I think a reasonable solution is to raise the cylinder liners with liner shims so the stand proud is 0.004"-0.005" and fit everything together with a premium MLS gasket (Victor Reinz) and uprated oil rail. I am not sure if the higher tensile bolts is needed, or new ones at all?

Any comments/Advice is greatly welcome

Cylinder head removed from car:

Spare cylinder head no.1:

Spare cylinder head no.2:

Last edited by beinet1; 19th October 2020 at 05:29..
beinet1 is offline   Reply With Quote