View Single Post
Old 12th June 2019, 21:03   #13
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Trident View Post
When I was planning on changing my condenser, my local friendly garage de- pressurised the system for me and lent me a bottle of the oil that they put into the system. He said lube the o rings with it, and don't spill it cos it's extortionately expensive.

When I had done the work, he vacuum tested the system for leaks then refilled it for me. Perhaps I should have said his machine did, it the system fails the vacuum test it won't attempt to fill it.

He explained that leaking that gas into the atmosphere would get him a 1k fine, jeez!
Hmm, you were not given good advice Mike

PAG oil is extremely hygroscopic, much much more so than brake fluid, and it forms acid when moisture is absorbed.

This will cause leaks at the pipe unions to occur.

The PAG oil will damage lots of things, the A/C compressor included, if the moisture level exceeds 800 PPM, so the bottle of oil you were loaned will have been wrecked, it's to be hoped it wasn't used in the recharge

I don't play with small A/C systems in my line of work, but have an awful lot of experience of servicing refrigerant compressed air drying machinery, normally handling FAD of circa 600 CFM.........slightly more critical setup than your average car A/C

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote