Thread: Leaving BST
View Single Post
Old 24th October 2020, 11:13   #13
baxlin
This is my second home

Volvo C70 Convertible and JZR 3 wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
Spot on and that should have been a consideration this year of all years.The consequences to mental health have been completely overlooked.It shows a total lack empathy and judgement by the government.
I agree to some extent, but having said that, we will still have the same amount of darkness each day, whether or not the clocks go back.

So why not adjust our daily schedule? Most of us who are working from home could easily start an hour earlier, as could the retired. For instance, our local Tesco was almost deserted when I went at about 7 am today.....

And yes, although the mental health aspect might have been overlooked, changing to GMT will help in many circumstances. My grandchildren, for instance, have all finished school by 3pm at the moment, so can quite easily get home before it’s dark even in the depths of a GMT time zone winter (OK, we live south of the Midlands).

But with BST, they would be starting to walk to school in the dark much sooner than in GMT, and it would go on for longer, so GMT gives them at least more useful daylight, than BST.

I suppose my point is that what’s good for the goose ISN’T always good for the gander.

But see my sig.