View Single Post
Old 14th October 2021, 10:26   #9
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
45K above the asking price Ian,utter madness.It's actions like this that are pushing house ownership out of reach for young people/first time buyers.It's your money of course to do with as you will.All I can say is that it must have come very easily to you to spend it like that.I don't know if your new house is mortgaged but those who have over extended themselves had better hope that interest rates stay as they are.l realize that most people are only concerned with their own situation but massively overpaying does not help others further down the food chain.
Firstly let me say, if I have upset or offended you i apologise, there was no intention, I was just talking. No one would have got this house for the asking price, too many interested parties with some making above asking price offers.
I dont know about came easy but we sold for £685,000, with all the fees and bills we had to put in a few thousand. If we had not bought this house we would have had to stayed in rented accommodation spending out on rent, in a house we did not like, with views we did not like, with noise we did not like with a garden we did not like, with a garage we did not like, with parking problems, with our stuff in boxes or a lock up 20 minutes drive away and then, how long would we have to have waited, for the right house to come up and for us to have bought without losing to someone that puts in a higher offer? We are mortgage free and have been for 15 or 20 years. We did not like where we were and it was not doing us any good, what price is piece of mind worth? Via the internet we looked at over 3,000 properties but went after about 6 and viewed perhaps less then 10. We would drive 400 miles just to look at one house.
I completely get how you may feel about outsiders coming in and splashing the cash to buy a property but what of the sellers, they could sell to local people. Years ago my wife told me that there were times when I had gone to bed and she had sat downstairs crying not know how we were going to pay our bills, we have been down to less then £1 in our bank account so please don't think I/we have not been broke. Working overtime and working two jobs is how we got by, money not burning a hole in our pocket meant we saved when we could. My children were brought up on jumble sale and car boot stuff. Unless things were interest free credit if we did not have the money we saved for it. I have never had a new car or motorbike.
My last house cost us more to do up then it was worth when we got it but was supposed to be our forever home. Just checked the net, the house we sold in 2001 for £186,500 sold in 2019 for £490,000. A house we bought for £33,000 and sold for about £65,000 is now selling for about £350,000 this is what the house next door sold for in January, this is one way how people move up the property ladder, inheritance is another.
House prices vary across the country and we moved to a cheaper area.

While some people buy to rent, some buy and fall into renting. Two people have their own property and move in together. In case it does not work out the other house is kept and rented out.

macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote