View Single Post
Old 6th November 2021, 12:06   #16
grivas
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Club Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Hadjigeorgagis,

I'm afraid that's not quite true. We paid the same tax (VAT, I'm not aware of any others) when we belonged to the EU as part of the purchase price. Now it is excluded and is chargeable by the UK rather than the supplying EU country. So nothing's changed there.

Regarding import duty and associated fees, these too have always been levied on goods from "external markets" such as the United States and China and the principle was established long before the EEC was even born. You're correct though to say that it's an increased cost for the consumer. I wonder if it's waived on the manufacturing contracts EU countries have with China where virtually everything now originates. Or is it just hidden from view? Now there's a question!

Simon
We need clarification by the appropriate government department in the UK, as to the taxation that is levied on items purchased from around the European Union, now that we are no longer a member state, where is this explained, I am not aware of any such information, if anyone knows please point it out so we are all more informed.

PS Who is Hadjigeorgagis, not me!! ( well I know who he was, he was the dragoman of Cyprus, responsible for tax collection on behalf of the Sultan, during the Ottoman occupation of the island)

Last edited by grivas; 6th November 2021 at 12:07.. Reason: spelling