View Single Post
Old 24th March 2022, 23:36   #1
Oldmowgli

2002 Rover 75 Tourer KV6, Moonstone Green

Default Automatic Gearbox Operation 2.5KV6

Hi everyone, I need some advice on the operation of my Auto box;

When the car is idling, selecting Drive, or particularly noticeably when selecting Reverse, the car immediately starts moving. It's as though I have the engine idling too fast (but don't)

To keep the car from moving off I have to have a firm brake pedal press and / or the handbrake applied at it's fullest extent.

Otherwise gearchanges are normal when driving the car.

For background info:

Engine idling speed is measured at 775rpm.

The gearbox fluid has all been replaced with no change in the above issue.
I have replaced the entire (8L) contents and re-set the level via the level plug (5mm allen key bolt) under the gearbox using the methods and instructions found on this forum, plus reference to the Haynes and Rover manuals. Also we measured amounts out and back in and they matched very closely. I am 99.9% certain that fluid level is correct.

New Trans Fluid has the correct compatability.

I have replaced the lower gearbox mounting (a job that took hours due to one bolt clashing with exhaust sensor position !! - Not as easy as the manual or posts on the forum suggest) the original rubber was completely split.

Gearchange is now much less "notchy" when selecting Drive or Reverse, but certainly not silky smooth.

My Autel OBD2 reader communicates with the car fine, and there are no error codes present.

Is this a problem others have had ? I have not yet found reference to this issue in any other posts.

Thanks, Martin.

Oldmowgli is offline   Reply With Quote