View Single Post
Old 20th February 2021, 08:03   #6
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris75 View Post
The heads do not necessarily need skimming unless a straight-edge check reveals them to be warped ; this is unlikely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashy90 View Post
Basically I don't know if the gaskets are ok or not. Car was bought cheap with problem of coolant rising out of expansion tank.
I found and replaced dead fan, and flushed and bled the cooling system. Seemed to behave itself after this with exception of temp gauge would sit a fraction over half way, and with the cap off the coolant would rise to top within seconds of starting engine. There was a noise at higher revs from belt area so I suspected water pump. So engine is out to change belts and water pump and clutch.
Hi Ash,

From your description I would suspect that Mr. Previous Owner has put K-seal in your engine but can I ask first whether you followed the MGR procedure exactly when refilling and bleeding (notably raising the expansion tank and not running the engine with the bleed screw removed)?

When you renew the cambelts make sure that you replace the tensioner and idler pulleys as well. The noise you've heard could well be a sign of bearing wear but you'll find out when you inspect them and spin them by hand.

Also, beware of changing the water pump if there is no sign of leakage. More than one owner has found the replacements to fail after a short period of time. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".

Simon