View Single Post
Old 21st August 2021, 17:16   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
I ordered a new Kingston 32Gb speed 10 SDHC card (smallest you seem to be able to get these days), for it and did a straight copy of everything from my original Sandisk 8Gb HC card.

My initial impression is that it is certainly no faster from turning on, to being ready to use, but that from that point on - typing on screen, plotting routes etc. is does appear to be a lot more responsive than before.

I wonder if anyone has might have a source so I can update it's now well out of date maps please? It is WINCE Igo Primo 2.
At this point, I would consider a factory reset (not sure how this would be done). BUT this will clear everything, and you would have to start again with any apps you have added, or updates.

From the description you gave after changing the card (to me this reads that the map app has been reset to original, rather than the whole unit), it sounds like the unit is simply out of date unfortunately. The unit had adequate ram and a processor that was capable of running the apps as it was. Then various updates come along, be it for the maps only, other apps or the whole unit, and they make new demands on the ram and processor, normally requiring more, which then slow down the unit.

As I said before, I dont have experience with the DD units, but from their description, and previous posts and comments, it sounds like they operate in the same way as a phone or tablet does.

When you have a phone, over time, you maybe have 6 updates (random number) over a 3 year period, with each of these updates requiring more ram and processing power (sometimes less though), but also they will have excess data that gets left behind, but still requires processing power before it gets ignored at start up. This slows the phone down obviously. Wipe it back to factory, and install only the latest update, it will still need to have more RAM and processor power, but it will not have the 'wasted' updates using RAM space or the processor. So whilst it will still be slow to start up and run, it should improve a little (I must stress, this is based upon my experience of 'messing' with phones and tablets, it may be different to a DD unit).

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote