View Single Post
Old 21st August 2021, 18:50   #5
Teflon
This is my second home

Lagoon 2.0 V6 75 Conn SE Saloon

Thanked 2,920 Times in 1,570 Posts

To be honest, I doubt this approach will work. I had one of the original Win CE units from Radioguy, and still have one of his second gen units which is working away quite happily (though slow by modern standards).

The "apps" are pretty much "baked in" and don't receive updates (the units have no wi-fi capability, or 3g; 4g etc). Realistically, the only updates possible are to the sat nav programme, and the maps themselves, which are both done via SD card. The units are also quite particular in terms of which version of iGo they will work with and most will require some form of configuring (board rate settings etc) in order to work with the unit. I would therefore suspect that the unit is still pretty much in a similar state to that in which it left the factory, with the only additions likely to be any "points of interest", or routes, which may have been saved within iGo.

I suspect the real issue is that the unit is simply old and slow by modern standards. My own unit seems a lot slower to load initially than I remember it being, but it's purely down to the fact that I've grown used to modern systems (phones; tablets etc) that load pretty much instantly. In truth, it was always slow, but at the time it was "par for the course". I guess a faster SD card may help initial loading times, but more than that I doubt there's much that can be done with these original systems. In truth, I doubt there are many of the original units still working at all, and I'm just waiting for the day that mine gives up the ghost.

Cliff

Edit: A factory re-set can be done by using a paperclip in the small hole in (I think) the top right corner of the unit. I think the only data you will use is any pre-set radio stations, as the sat nav programme is a separate entity on the SD card, and will be untouched by the re-set. I doubt it will do anything to speed the unit up though.

No. 4 of 6

Last edited by Teflon; 21st August 2021 at 18:54..
Teflon is offline   Reply With Quote