View Single Post
Old 14th July 2021, 16:58   #39
TourerSteve
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
I'm curious are people using this lump hammer technique with the car on axle stands rather than a lift/over a pit? I was just thinking you must have to get the car to some height to get a decent swing.
I would think that the majority of forum members actually use axle stands to change out the arms . I have access to both a lift and pit but usually just change them on axle stands . I have found the best way is to jack the complete front of the car up from the centre of the subframe and place axle stands under the sub frame just back from from the inner arm ball joint , This gives room to work under the car to remove the rear bush bolt and the front bush bolt can be removed from under the wheel arch . Providing the hammer head is large enough to let the shaft clear the anti roll bar, the inner ball joint in the subframe is quite a good angle to strike to remove from under the wheel arch !

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewJames View Post
I think I'll invest in a bigger hammer (than my biggest one at only 1kg) then when the time comes. Thanks
A 1kg hammer is something of a toffee hammer to carry out a task like that !

Last edited by TourerSteve; 14th July 2021 at 17:01..
TourerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote