View Single Post
Old 1st June 2022, 15:47   #13
wraymond
This is my second home

75 Auto 2.5 SE

Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,014 Posts

In heaven’s name! What a mess of confected bandwagon prejudice!

Warren Mitchell was an actor! In show Biz! There were so many working in that circle of make-believe who were the subject of racial and religious discrimination and still are today. They were highlighting prevalent attitudes and putting out sarcasm!

The writers (Galton & Simpson) of that TV show were also from one of those ‘minorities’ yet wrote the scripts! Mitchell was, for plenty of lucre, ACTING to someone else’s words. It was a sign of the times, thankfully no longer in vogue and so say all of us. But, to single out one characterisation from a myriad of fictional output is just as offensive as the supposed crime. My best friend, I hope your god blesses you Sid, got similar treatment and laughed it off. Under his chuckling breath!

There is a surprising level of similar antipathy in and between the various UK nations and nobody raises an obvious public eyebrow. Similar sentiments about the English frequently emanate from all corners of the UK yet, so far, nobody has the guts to call it out because it is other than the usual racism.
Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.