View Single Post
Old 20th June 2018, 11:38   #6
Abott10

Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,328 Posts
Cool Many thanks Arctic.

Many thanks Arctic for that reply and those superb illustrations. By the way, you have the same Trolley Jack and Axle Stands as those I bought about a dozen years ago. Very useful kit.

I will try Brian's sub-frame Mounting Bolt loosening technique first and if that works for me then well and good. Otherwise the complete Strut and Hub Assembly removal option I will use as a long stop. No hurry if the job takes me over a few days to do both sides, I have other transport options available.

I have removed, cleaned up and Copper Based greased one of the Pinch Bolts already. I think it's worth my mentioning that before removal of the Near-Side Strut Pinch Bolt, I placed a good quality Hex-Socket on the Bolt Head and using my big daddy 3/4" Bergen Breaker Bar with 3/4 to 1/2" reducers, applied my weight to TIGHTEN the Bolt a fraction. I felt it move a fraction. That actually broke the corrosion. Then using another Socket, one which acts on the Flats of the Bolt Head, not on the points of the Hex-Flats, was relieved to feel it start to become undone. It was just a very little at a time but became easier with each application of my controlled weight on the 3/4" Breaker Bar. Then later, much later after patient use of the breaker bar, the bolt became sufficiently loosened to allow n use of a Ratchet Socket Wrench.
Abott10 is offline   Reply With Quote