View Single Post
Old 6th May 2022, 10:35   #5
torque2me
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbev51 View Post
Hi, brace yourselves for what is coming. My wife and I are very lucky we have means and resources. One third of the population arent as lucky, they have no savings, they need to be supported, how that can be achieved, i dont know. Im trying to read 'road to Wigan Pier', only a few pages each night. The book, which is really a commentry on working class lives pre war, paints an awful picture of the lives of particularly miners. How familles kept going in those difficult times, its just so different to todays lifestyles. Our country is getting poorer, hopefully we will never regress back to those times.
As BorgWarner and Macafee point to the problem areas we have to remember that the country is far richer than the 30's. However, the population needs are totally different. It is much more consumer/gadget based now. I see people take a taxi after a night out, we used to walk. People have pizza etc delivered, we collected or cooked fresh. We nearly have a car for each person now not one in ten or twenty (or whatever).

There is, on the whole, not a lack of money it is the spread that is at fault and how our perception is of jobs. Many vital jobs are looked down at and thus are poorly rewarded i.e. a newsreader on £40k + and a farm worker on £20k. We need food to exist but we could get by without news.

Kev
torque2me is offline   Reply With Quote