View Single Post
Old 1st August 2021, 12:33   #8
mgb66
Regular poster

MG-ZTT

Thanks very much for all your thoughts.

Given that the bottom hose from the radiator does not appear to get very warm at all, and there are gurgling noises from the thermostat piping once the engine is switched off, I did wonder if the thermostat is stuck shut, so no circulation and therefore boiling over.
I did the demist test and the fan appears to be working. Also the fan comes on at full blast once the gauge hits the red.

I went to and got some more OAT mixture this morning pending further attempts at re-filling and that's now the fourth 5l canister I've bought in this process. Mad!
Bypassing the oil cooler as a test sounds a good plan.
I would pass this problem on to the small local garage I use but with wonderful timing they closed for their annual fortnight holiday on Friday.
Ironically there was also an MG Rover dealer locally but they went over to Skoda years ago, I may call in and see if any of the MG Rover experienced mechanics are still there. I do feel though that this problem should not be beyond some DIY.

I had to fire up the MGB this morning to go to Halfords. Good as gold needless to say. Changing the thermostat on that would be a 10 minute job...
mgb66 is offline   Reply With Quote