View Single Post
Old 23rd July 2022, 20:53   #13
goltho
Can't help myself

Rover 75 CDTi 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsport View Post
The new sensor will be a tight fit to get back in anyway.given the age of the backplates you will probably need to clean the sensor bore hole out and again the top mounting area where it has to sit flush for depth. a light dose of rubber grease or similar to aid fitting can help,as you dont want to be hammering in !! some members have trimmed the sensors up to allow fitting but i think its best to clean the bore if possible. some use emery cloth around a drill shank etc or even a round file etc etc. just lube up the bore lightly and extra at the top end of the sensor to keep out moisture. a good clean before to remove any swarf from fettling iron filings , and a magnet may help find loose specs in crevices. im sure once you get in there you will be thinking ... i wish i had ordered a new backplate ...but thats another story, ...
Yep, I've seen how they can be and also the hacks that can be done on the new sensors. Rimmers are only 15 minutes down the road from me so I'll assess the condition of the backplate and replace it if necessary. They're happily not extortionate (also click & collect is a bonus).

Thanks.

Dougie.
• Built 08/02/2005 @14:57 hrs: Registered 26/08/2005
• 122nd of 141 built that day
• British Racing Green Pearlescent (HFF)
• Sandstone leather with black piping (SPJ)
• 139,000 miles
goltho is offline   Reply With Quote