Thread: Advice please
View Single Post
Old 28th August 2019, 09:17   #4
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Default Things have moved on...

So after a 'phone message from Copart Chester yesterday I make a couple of calls myself this morning.
Copart tell me they want to arrange to collect the car. I innocently ask why "are you going to repair it"
..."no, we are a slvage company and we have been asked to collect it"
There followed a bit more feinting and weaving to draw them onto the uppercut "but all I've done is to report the accident and details to my insurers"
..."oh, someone has got the wrong end of the stick then"

The second call was to my insurers to tell them I'd been contacted by Copart. The decision was that any repair would be uneconomical (another way of saying we really can't be bothered with this old banger).
Following a recount (my version) of the history of calls/messages etc. the handler (very nice lady) explained a cheque for £800 (they had sent an advisory e-mail which I opened/read but then when I tried to refer to it 24 hours later had expired, replaced with a note to "contact our Customer Service Dept." - how high handed is that!) was sent to me, had I received it?
I explained that all I had done was report the accident/details having stated that under no circumstances would I accept the car being written off. I was told that the 'claim' (a no fault claim) was still open.
Part of the story is that the third party has accepted full liability and that his insurers had asked me if they can repair the vehicle, provide courtesy car etc. etc. all at no cost to myself; they also stated they didn't need the 'photographic evidence (this might change once I get back to them).
I was requested to provide (my own) 'photographs which I was asked to my own insurance repairers had based their report on - no physical inspection etc. "we don't send out engineers sir") - just so they could write it off!!

So, the next step/'phone call - how do I approach the third parties' insurance company; I want it repaired (or get a fair contribution towards having the repair carried out on my own behalf). What arguements can I use to get the established write-off figure (aforesaid £800) increased.
Can I ask them to obtain a similar spec./mileage R75 as a replacement (I suppose that would involve some sort of indemnity against any further claim by me on them should the replacementvehicle develope some fault etc.?)
What else can I say, any advice gratefully accepted before I start the attrition?
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote