View Single Post
Old 10th January 2020, 10:01   #14
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello David. Just for the benefit of those who are less experienced than you are, "looking" at the belts alone will reveal very little. I have proved that. My belts were perfect after 90,000 miles and 19 years. It is the tensioner and idler pulleys which are the weak point and need the attention (but not every 6 years).

Exactly Richard, it's ludicrous isn't it. Read on to discover how the six years period was arrived at.

Precisely Malcolm. You are one of the few who appreciates that fact.

I do. It's the mileage and I've proved it (see above). Unfortunately a few members are determined not to listen and interestingly those happen to be club traders. Vested interest anyone?

You're absolutely right again Malcolm. I consider "use by" dates on food as a prompt only. The old fashioned method of using your eyes, sense of smell and your brains is far more reliable! And it keeps the family finances healthy too.

Simon
Simon, please show your proof. How many samples did you test? How the control was monitored etc. What you used to determine the current characteristics of the material in each group of belts tested etc.

I dont believe you have done any of this, which is my issue with you saying these things.

I have taken my chances successfully with belts in the past, with the same 'opinion' and logic as yours (and I do concur to it!). But this is NOT proof, and you cannot recommend this as an engineer as fact.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote