View Single Post
Old 26th November 2015, 09:40   #1
Duotone
This is my second home

Default How to operate your FBH and ATC by text.

This "How to" applies only to the FBH like this.

You will need to order a GSM unit.

This one by lewisrendel. This is his Ebay site.

When you place your order, it would be worth mentioning the requirements of the GSM unit i.e. what you want it to do. That way he will program it so the relays are timed - e.g. relay 1 comes on straight away, relay 2 comes on after 5 mines and then both turn off together after 20 mins. Otherwise I think you'll have to program the relay yourself using his instructions or text the relay to turn it back off.

GSM relay:

+V: wire to 12v feed from fuse box (5amp fuse)
Negative: wire to suitable earth.

Relay 1 for FBH:
NO: wire to pin 3 on FBH.
C (or NC if labelled incorrectly on GSM): wire to earth

Relay 2 for Heater Controls:
NO: wire to pin 13 of DPDT relay (based on the DPDT relay in the pic in post 1)
C (or NC if labelled incorrectly on GSM): wire to +12 from fusebox (5 amp fuse)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/401030979071

You will also need a Double Pole Double Throw relay.

Here is one.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191590027847

You will need to connect a black wire to pin 3 of your FBH.

WARNING: when wiring to pin 3 of the 6 pin plug for the FBH, make sure you remove the little blue rubber blank from the pin. You will need to use either tweezers or a needl and dont push down on the rubber blank otherwise it pushes down the plug and becomes a real pain to remove.

You will need red wire for a permanent live 12v to operate your GSM and your ACT panel.

Use one of these, readily available from Ebay.

For those who have earlier models they will have the older style larger fuses so would need the larger fuse taps, just in case they order the wrong ones.

Rick-sta used 2 fuse taps, 1 to power the 2 12v's required for the DPDT relay, and 1 for the 2 12v's required for the GSM unit, this may be advisable.

You will need a earth connection.

These are the wires to cut and connect to your DPDT relay

This how to wire the lewisrendel GSM unit.

Before wiring relay 1 and 2 check that the connection markings are correct because Rick-sta and Tony (awvc1) found that the C and NC terminals are labelled the wrong way around. We've both had to wire ours to the NO and NC terminals to get it to work. So it's advisable to check.

This is the diagram to wire the DPDT relay

And this is how to wire the double pole double throw relay.

My 12 pin Double Pole Double Throw Relay (from the picture in post 1 above):
Pin 1: White/Orange wire for AC (Car side)
Pin 2: Green/White wire for AC (Car Side)
Pin 5: 12v feed from fuse box (5amp fuse)
Pin 6: 12v feed from fuse box (5amp fuse)
Pin 9: White/Orange wire for AC (AC Controls Side)
Pin 10: Green/White wire for AC (AC Controls Side)
Pin 13: 12v feed from relay 2 GSM unit terminal NO
Pin 14: Wire to Earth

Locate your GSM unit in the center cubby.

Wiring:
I used 14AMP rated 0.75 thin wall cable I had left over from my cruise control retrofit, which can be purchased from ebay. See here http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50M-Roll-1...a8NlkEOCyrOqZw

My DPDT relay is placed next to the heater controls in the centre consol. When you take the heater controls out, you'll notice there is a lot of space to the left or right of where the unit goes, so I secured mine on one side.

You will need female spade connectors for the DPDT relay like these: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FEMALE-SPA...3:m:mKuqdvB5Uo 6kvlkxRQEDxDgI can't remember what side I used now, I simply popped down to my local private DIY store and picked the size that would fit the spades on my DPDT relay.

I placed my GSM unit in the centre cubby hole simply for easy access just in case I needed to get to it, for example to register another mobile number (the GSM will only accept texts and calls from registered numbers, this prevents those PPI nusance callers from activating your FBH). To run the cables to the GSM unit, you will need to pop up the gear surround and handbrake gaiter, and you will need to drill a hole in the bottom of your cubby hole (make sure you remove the cubby hole from the car and drill it outside). It is held in place with two torx head screws, simply remove screws and pop out.

When running the cables from the heater controls to the GSM unit in the cubby hole, make sure you keep the cables clear of the gear stick and the hand brake (wouldn't want it to get caught).

I'd also advise fitting a quick release plug like the one in the link below for the wires running to the GSM relay, which was advised to me by Dave (Duotone), to prevent shorting the relay whilst connecting or removing wires from the terminal. I did this by accident first and blew two of my fuses You'll need a 6 pin for the GSM unit.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tyco-AMP-E...Wsrc0SFlCqeIWw

When all connected you will be able to operate the FBH by sending the text RT this will turn on your FBH via relay 1, after 5 minutes relay 2 will operate sending 12v to your DPDT relay. The DPDT relay will then switch on your ATC unit for a further 15 minutes.

After a total of 20 minutes the FBH and ATC will shut down.

ATC running without ignition key.

To register your phone to the GSM unit i.e. you have to power the GSM unit, flick the on switch, call the relay (it will ring a couple times and cut off) and then flick the switch off. This registers your number with the relay.

Retrofitting Fuel Burning Heater:
I also had to retrofit the FBH itself, so for those who don't currently have a fuel burning heater fitted to their diesel and would like to fit one, here is a link to a very useful how to on servicing and fitting a fuel burning heater.
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=100297

Thanks to DaveyC for the original idea and to Rick-sta, awvc1, David Lawrence and anyone who has helped.

I have brought all the info and pictures together to make this "How to"

Please comment/ correct this "How to" and after it is checked I will ask a mod to add it to the "How to " forum.

Dave T

Last edited by Duotone; 29th October 2017 at 21:04..
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote