View Single Post
Old 29th September 2021, 18:49   #7
Rickshaw
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer, 2 X75 Saloon , MGTF Sunstorm

Thumbs up Success – with sore fingers

Earlier ref by Rovermech to a small cover in the inner liner got me thinking so I worked thus :-
• freed up and rolled back the front half of the wheel arch liner. There was no opening in this other than the usual lights access panel – I’ll continue to look for anything else.
• I could now see right up besides the windows wash water bottle and , towards the top and nearby is a very small gap - see with a torch.
• Pushed fingers up this gap and over a bit and located the cable splitter box
• With the torch I clearly saw the two plastic lugs holding this box so pushed them through to free up the box
• manoeuvred the box over the open area where had inserted fingers so I could see inside it – by no means easy!.
• Thrust upwards with a screw driver and pinned it to underside of bonnet
• I then positioned a second screw driver on the locks side of the cables block and forced it towards the single cable side ( imitating a pull on the bonnet release near driver feet)
• Pleasant pop as bonnet releases operated
I love these cars but I will say that the area of bonnet release and mechanisms location / access has not been properly designed from a maintenance point of view. There should / could have been provision for an alternative / emergency bonnet release mechanism. Anyway , I hope the detailed way I managed to resolve my problem may be of help to others in the future.
Thanks to everyone for help – much appreciated and an example of why we stay in this splendid club.
Rickshaw is offline   Reply With Quote