Thread: Back in an MG!
View Single Post
Old 6th July 2020, 13:42   #5
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I suppose it could be a 'real' MG then.......I just struggle to think of anything post 2005 in that way! That said it does have a few quirks and things that give it some character like my MG's before and it does make me smile to maybe it is

Still getting over just how cheap it is to run, we're now on an EV only tariff which means power for 10 hours a day and then all weekend at 8p/kwh which is less the half what we were paying before so all of our electricity is now a lot cheaper not just that going into the car. At the weekend we went for a drive and ended up doing 34 miles round rural Norfolk, got back and stuck it on charge and it took 10kwh to get it back up to 100% which means our afternoon of driving around cost just 80p!!!!! I think that's even cheaper per mile then when I started driving back in '92.

I still like good old petrol engines (diesels not so much) and really like driving my SLK with it's big V6 however once you've driven a few miles in an EV getting back into a car powered by fossil juice really does feel like stepping back in time. Range is still the obvious issue however charging stations are popping up all over the place now. When we first started looking at EV's a few years back there were only 2 on my 250 route to see my Dad in Somerset, before we picked up the ZS I checked again and there's loads of them now. The MG will take up to 80kw so it basically means a single half hour stop will be enough to cover the journey, not a massive problem because having Mrs Guru and 2 children we always make at least 2 stops anyway each normally lasting at least 45 minutes.

That said we're hoping to get up to Scotland again either later this year or next spring and for that trip it will be the Sterling as I wouldn't fancy having to stop 5 times to charge plus it just be nice to take the old girl on a decent trip.