View Single Post
Old 10th March 2022, 07:05   #2
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

This has been a problem for many folks and businesses alike for many years, and in terms of answers for dealing with it - seem to be very few.
Mercedes had problems with some of their vehicle storage areas a few years ago where rodent ingress was an issue, engine bay and interior wiring was munched, although the vehicles would run ok initially, the damage was already done, my parents car suffered with this on their E class 220 cdi. Injector wiring was all but ruined, MB treated it as a customer issue, and was happy to deal with it at £120 labour an hour. My Father told them to not bother, we dealt with it ourselves and replaced the wiring with our trusty soldering iron and heatshrink. My current workplace is a disued steelworks, and much industry has moved into the area, much nature has been disturbed locally allowing an increase of visitors of all types, largely uncontrollable with it. We see cars with engine and transmission errors on a regular basis, the funny side is seen by us, but for the business it is a real problem, and costs are significant. Many of the rodents build nests inside gloveboxes and use the service history and driver packs as bedding, so impossible to read at this stage. It looks like confetti ! Howver at this place, there is a level of encouragement - uneaten foods and red-bull spills alongside discarded rubbish left in the cars, windows left open, boots left open along with bonnets left up, various condirtions are favourable for the rodents to explore and they will find comfort there as well as forming their unique exit when required. There seems to be some recognition regarding this problem based on a Google search, but no definative cure or long term fix for this issue.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote